VE Day 75 Memories of Leicester with Gwen Spencer


To mark VE Day 75 I recorded my grandma Gwen Spencer (85) recounting her memories of Leicester and it`s people on a historic day for the country and the world. Please turn on Subtitles to read along with the audio.
transcript below
 Hello, I`m here with Gwen Spencer who`s going to tell us her memories of VE Day in Leicester. Hello I`m Gwen, I lived at home in Braunstone, Just off the Hallam Crescent, We heard the news at home, I was 11 and my sister Pauline was 12, Mum and Dad said "Come on we'll go to the Clock Tower, We went on the tram, we joined the circle around the clock tower, holding onto the shoulders of the people in front. There was a mixture of people, many in uniform, Many in their best clothes. We caught the tram back to the terminus, known as the Braunstone and walked down the road with lights on in the house windows, Noise, Cheering, We listened to Churchill again on the radio. A few days later we had a Street Party with food the Mum`s made. Dad played the accordian and one of the men played the piano he had the windows wide open, I shall NEVER forget it. Recorded by Leigh Spencer To Mark the 75th anniversary of VE Day in 2020. Recorded during COVID-19 lockdown with safety measures for all participants in place.

Comments